Yes, there is an easy way to remember the vaccine schedule for NCLEX! I typically don’t use a lot of mnemonics or acronyms for memorizing content because I always think it’s better to understand certain things then memorizing. However, for vaccinations, what’s there to understand about the vaccination schedule? You just need to know when to give them and there’s a bunch!
Here are a few little sayings I came across that are an easy way to remember vaccinations for the NCLEX. I have no idea who came up with this, but I like it!
Only vaccine given at birth: Hepatitis B
Vaccines given at 2, 4 and 6 months
- Remember the saying “DIHHPeR” — sounds like “diaper”
- DTaP, IPV, Hep B, Hib, PCV and Rotovirus
Vaccines given between 12 – 15 months old
- Remember the saying “Harry V. Potter MD“
- Hib, Varicella, PCV, MMR, DTaP
Vaccines given between 4 – 6 years old
- Remember the saying, “I Did My Vaccines“
- IPV, DTaP, MMR, Varicella
Vaccines given between 11 – 12 years old
- Remember the saying, “Tweens Have Money“
- TDaP, HPV (x 3 doses), Meningococcal
Vaccines given as an adult
- Remember the saying, “cousin IT“
- Influenza yearly, TDaP every 10 years
Vaccines given between 60 – 65 years old
- Remember the saying, “don’t break your HIP“
- Herpes Zoster (Shingles), Influenza yearly, Pneumoccoccal
What do you think? Is this an easy way to remember the vaccine schedule for NCLEX? Do you have any tricks for remembering the vaccines? I’d love to hear what those are!
I found this the best mnemonic out here excellent thank you!!
Harry HV Potter MD (hepatitis A)
Thank you, I was tired of memorizing and forgetting the schedule when it came to exam’s and playing the guessing game.
Thank you!! This is super helpful
I agree Nina! I also included it in my Nugget Pages book too – thenclextutor.com/nuggetpages
I also include other little sayings to remember stuff in the book too!
Rhen Mae Limbaga
thank you for this!
what a big help in familiarizing. easy to remember during exam.
Thank you, this is very easy way to remember!