The New NCLEX is coming in April of 2023. And this book is the first book that I’ve seen that addresses that change. It provides case studies that would be similar to the real NCLEX exam.
Now don’t freak out! The New NCLEX will not totally change – it will just be adding some case studies to the test that will count towards passing. The content will very likely be exactly the same. With some prep you will be well-prepared for whatever they throw at you.
I did every single question in this book as you can see by all the sticky notes attached to it! I wanted to know if they are well-written questions that students can use in their prep. Overall, I thought it was a decent book. However it has it’s problems. Let me go through the pros and cons for you.
- It has a lot of case studies. It goes through all the different topics: adult health, psych, maternity, peds, ethical/legal, and pharmacology. It’s a thorough book and you will get lots of opportunities to test your knowledge.
- It starts from simple case studies to more complex case studies. This is important so you can see how to answer the questions.
- It includes the new Clinical Judgment Model. This is replacing the “Nursing Process”. It’s written in a way that’s easy to understand and is intended to drive clinical practice. It’s very similar to the nursing process, but actually makes more sense.
- There is a section specifically for Pharmacology. This is important because students have a lot of issues with meds.
- There are mistakes such as typos. The answers may not be listed correctly, but the rationale says it is an answer. It can get confusing.
- Some questions are incomplete. The question assumes that you have read through the previous question and you will use that content to answer the question. Each question should be a stand alone question.
- The normal lab values were supposed to be included. At the NCLEX conference, we were told that the normal lab values would be included in the new case studies. This book doesn’t include the normal lab values. That needs to get fixed.
- The questions and rationales are not uniformly written. You can tell different people wrote the questions. This is probably the biggest problem with the book because some questions want you to answer it one way and another question wants you to answer it in a different way.
Overall, it is a decent book. I would just suggest that you if you think you are correct and the book is wrong, there’s a high chance that you are probably correct. Ask another student or a nursing instructor to get their opinion on what they think. Every book and resource out there has mistakes and this book is no different. However, I think this book could be better and I hope the author sees this review and fixes the mistakes for the next edition.
Are your nursing instructors talking about these new case studies and implementing them into their tests? Let me know in the comments!